Pros and cons to working past retirement?
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:57 am 

I'm still working way past the normal retirement age and wondered what people's thoughts were as regards the advantages and disadvantages?

Obviously the extra money is helpful and it keeps me active. However it does eat in to my leisure time. What are the others issues to this do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:53 am 

Keeping your mind alert is so important, so if you enjoy your work and it gives you that sense of purpose then i would say keep at it!!

Re: Pros and cons to working past retirement?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:04 am 

Hi there

I have recently stepped over the golden threshold of the big 60 and am now receiving my state pension. I do not intend to stop working and I aim to continue for as long as I possible can. My job is quite flexible and I love what I do. Yes, I do think about what I could do now if I retired. Get the house up together as I have worked lots of hours for many years. Cook lots of dishes out of all of those recipe books I have collected over the years (and am still collecting!). Shop when I want ... the list goes on!

Not only that working does keep your mind in gear ... I would say if you enjoy what you do then continue to do it!

I hope this helps.

Sunnybarbados (Wiltshire)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:54 pm 

Very well said.

Also, one can never know everything, and all the knew things you learn can invariably open new exciting doors for you.