More than 300,000 people aged 70+ have a job
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

More than 300,000 people who are aged 70 and above have a job, with many blaming the fact they are too poor to stop working, official figures revealed yesterday.

The ballooning number of older workers highlights a social revolution in Britain with people forced to work at an age when many assume they would have stopped years ago. Read more

Re: More than 300,000 people aged 70+ have a job
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Self-employed make up a THIRD of those working beyond pension age

They may be short of a decent pension, struggling to sell their company, or just reluctant to give up the working life for the golf course, but the self-employed now account for a third of working pensioners.

Despite accounting for just 13.5 per cent of the pre-retirement workforce, figures from the Office for National Statistics show that as of June 2012, 31.3 per cent of people who remained in employment after reaching their state pension age are self-employed. Read more

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:59 am 

admin wrote:
More than 300,000 people who are aged 70 and above have a job, with many blaming the fact they are too poor to stop working, official figures revealed yesterday.

The ballooning number of older workers highlights a social revolution in Britain with people forced to work at an age when many assume they would have stopped years ago. Read more

That, in theory, means that 300,000 at the other end of the age scale are out of work!.

Surely, it is cheaper for the country to help the older end with pension credits etc. rather than pay the same number of people JSA?

Opinions please.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:11 pm 

That is a good point. However, the following should be appreciated...

Many of those are working out of choice, in that they have not planned for retirement and like to work to fill their time and have a purpose. Many could survive with-out working but have a need for more money to spend on the array of activities and leisure on offer that wasn't around before.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:45 pm 

Hi Dan,

As I stated, 'in theory'. There are many factors to be taken into consideration, I don't profess to be clever enough to work it out, but I'm sure there's scope for saving the country money somewhere along the line. It's finding out who must work longer and like you say, want to work longer.

The much publicised trend to work longer has overshadowed the desire to retire early, especially in the physically demanding trades, where old age tends to catch up with you much earlier than anticipated. As an old? mine worker, I can verify this.

What I'm trying to say is, forget those in the middle, the possibilities are there to help the younger end find employment using a 'top up' system to keep the old 'uns happy -and save the country money.