America goes grey
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Falling birth rates and medical advances have left more US cities than ever with more elderly as young residents.

Experts predict within 40 years a quarter of the total population will be over 60 as the percentage of older people continues to rise. Read more

Re: America goes grey
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:14 pm 

We don't need to leave this country for statistics like this!

Sheffield has the highest proportion of over 50's in the country, with around 33% of its population.

Around 1 in 6 of the residents are over 65 and (I think) we have the largest number of "centurions" in the country.

Fact: The Santas in the city are required to colour their hair green so as to distinguish them from the rest of us. True that!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:28 pm 

Very well said and very funny!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:24 pm 

Thank you admin1.

It really is a pity that people on here don't participate. It would be a good platform to compare what is going on in our towns and cities, especially with us old 'uns.

What has your hometown got to offer you? Come on tell us about it! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:26 pm 

Why aren't the emoticons working?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:37 am 
Site Admin

We have an array of community spirit and clubs, with the likes of Conservative/labour clubs, women's institute, community clubs every mile. It is all here and advertised. Just a lack of people bothering to join and missing out on a better quality of life. Also could do with a Men's institute!! ....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:13 pm 

admin wrote:
We have an array of community spirit and clubs, with the likes of Conservative/labour clubs, women's institute, community clubs every mile. It is all here and advertised. Just a lack of people bothering to join and missing out on a better quality of life. Also could do with a Men's institute!! ....

Good or bad, every place has something for the older end, I just thought it would be nice if some of the members would break the silence and tell us a little bit about what goes on in their area.

Hard to believe, but I've been on this forum nearly three years and hardly ever got into a proper debate or discussion about anything.
this is what forums are about and I find it - well sort of sad.

When I look at the "views" each thread has had, somebody's reading them, so why not the odd word or two.

The Lord knows how many times I've tried, sometimes with provocation, to get this lot fired up a bit, but I've got to admit - it's bloody hard!!!

What if I offered a £100 Argos voucher for the most interesting topic, do you think that would work? It's two years out of date but the old codgers can't read this!)